Re: Loadlin 1.6 & 2.1.22

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:35:10 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> Hans Lermen:
> : On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 reneb@VNET.IBM.COM wrote:
> :: Loadlin is not booting my kernel 2.1.22 anymore.
> :: it gives: Less than 4MB of memory
>
> I got precisely the same message, and use some peculiar
> setup in which loadlin is not involved (but OS/2 BM and LILO are).
> Now OS/2 BM and LILO do not give this message, so in my case
> it really was the kernel producing this message.

Yes, you are right. To reduce confusion here is what can happen:

A) You have zImage _and_ boot with LILO or rawfloppy (make zdisk):
= =
Then all is fine and it boots.

B) You have bzImage _and_ boot with LILO or rawfloppy (make bzdisk):
== ==
Then you get the above error message and the system hangs.
The message itself is printed by boot/compressed/misc.c

C) You boot with LOADLIN (regardless of the image type):

Same as with B), but the message is printed by LOADLIN
... and the kernel doesn't even get started.
( silly me, misc.c was the base for the page-rearangement-routine
in Loadlin, and I missed to change the error message )

So long,
Hans
<lermen@fgan.de>