Re: If Linux is to succeed

Jason Murdock (creature@injersey.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:10:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Jason Benderly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the waste of bandwidth but the subject is
> the most important one facing Linux, and it has been
> mentioned on the list.
>
> Linux needs applications to succeed in business. No question
> about it. Not the pathetic Applix or buggy WordPerfect. Why is
> it that the Windows API has not been ported to Unix? Why not the
> Microsoft Foundation classes? Why not ActiveX/OLE/DCOM.

No question about it, Linux needs apps (why do I get flash backs of bad
sci-fi movies?). Applix and WordPerfect Suite are good starts. Did you
use the first versions of MS, Lotus, and Novell/Corell Office Suites?? I
did and god couldn't get me to use them again. These things are in
their first versions, give them time. As for the Windows API, from what I
can see Linux doesn't need them and to get them to work under Linux right
would take people that are more into BDSM then coding. As for ActiveX, MS
is suppose to be porting MSIE to Linux so we'll see ActiveX close behind I
think. "OLE for Unix is already available from Mainsoft and Bristol, as
part of their Windows API on Unix packages" -- Linux Journal, April 1996.

> The Linux community should also shed the notion that everything
> should be free. Prices should not be what they are for Sun or HP
> products (multi thousand dollars for a GUI painter) but should
> be similar to PC market prices. I know I am willing to spend some
> cash.

Oh yeah. Right now the major market on Linux is single users and products
should be priced to fit their/our wallets. Companies that are selling
programs for Linux would sell a lot more if they just cut the price below
$200US. They need to get away from traditional Unix pricing and price to
PC customers. PC users aren't cheap, but we don't have deep pockets
either.

> Microsoft operating systems are second rate. Everyone knows that.
> Microsoft applications and applications architectures are the very best.
> Everyone knows that too, and that is why they hold 90% of the market.
>
> Jason.

jason
-- creature@injersey.com