Re: Packaged Kernel

Illuminati Primus (vermont@gate.net)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:43:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Tsurng-Chen Chern wrote:

> I can't agree more. I would rather spend 1~2 hours download the 7 MB
> source code with my 14.4 Kb modem while I watching TV and eating my
> dinner, than spend 1~2 hours pulling my hair out and trying to figure
> out whether I need to download this module or not.

To the end user, the process would be much the same... you download the
latest "bare minimum" package, and then make config (or whatever you do)..
Then while you watch tv and eat your dinner, some script runs in the
background that reads in your .config and downloads only the files you
need, and then starts compiling..
Of course, some people have plenty of megs to spare, and could care less
about people who have to save space (telling them to just buy newer
harddrives or faster modems).. But there is still alot of old hardware out
there, and people using linux on it.. (my 386 was useless except as a dumb
terminal until i installed linux).