Re: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux)

Steve VanDevender (stevev@efn.org)
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 15:53:41 -0800

jem@vistacom.fi writes:
> I would also prefer that people would concentrate their efforts on
> internationalizing user level applications instead, because that's where
> the real need is.

I think this is the best point of all. There is much less benefit to
end users from an internationalized kernel than there is from
internationalized applications.

Ideally, all of the kernel comments and variable names should be
available in several languages too, but we know how much of a nightmare
that would be.

People who want translated kernel messages in log files ashould
consider any and all user-space methods for doing so. At this point, I
think there are much better things for kernel developers to be spending
their time on than internationalizing the kernel itself.