Re: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux) (fwd)

Neil Moore (amethyst@valjean.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:56:04 -0500

Stephan Meyer Wrote
> Someone offered a solution to this. Only use numbers in the log files and
> display the appropiate translation with a special viewer program (got this
> right?)

I don't like this -- we should have learned from Lose95 that important
files should be human-readable. If this is done, there should be 2 log
files -- one for the numbers, and one for English translations (the
stuff you would post to the newsgroups and mailing lists). No matter
what language your kernel is configured for, an English copy of log
messages *always* needs to be kept (in addition to the non-text or non-
English copy), as that is likely to get you the most help on linux-kernel,
c.o.l.m, etc.

--
-Neil Moore          http://www.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us/~amethyst/
(finger amethyst@valjean.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us for my Geek Code)