Re: modutils-970116

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.org)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 17:35:20 -0800 (PST)

Philip Blundell wrote:

> True, but then they lose procps and so on anyway, so we probably don't
> need to worry too much about lsmod not working.

I haven't tried kmem-ps under Linux 2.1. Are you saying it's broken now,
or were you just not aware of it?

Begin3
Title: kmem-ps
Version: 1.3.95+
Entered-date: May 3, 1996
Author: Branko Lankester (branko@hacktic.hl), Rick Sladkey
(jrs@world.std.com)
Maintained-by: (currently) Mitch DSouza <Mitch.DSouza@NetComm.IE>
Primary-site:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Status/ps/kmem-ps-1.3.95+.tar.gz
Copying-policy: PD
End

> I'd be in favour of having things like /proc, INET, SysV IPC and so on
> relegated to a seperate category in the kernel configuration, along the
> lines of the 'Experimental' option we have now, so that people who don't
> really know what they're doing don't get a chance to turn them off.

There are already help files that start out, "unless you really know what
you are doing, you should say Y here" and go on to explain why. Hopefully
most people who have the initiative to compile their own kernel will have
enough to press "?" or "h" when configuring it.
___
Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>