Re: remounting partition

Sun, 19 Jan 1997 22:31:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question. Is it possible to change a filesystem's
> readonly/writeable flag without unmounting them?
> For example to mount / readonly but if a change has to be done to quickly
> mount it writeable and then readonly again.
> ie. somehow to sort of sync(), and then to change it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andi

RTFM: mount(8).

I'm not sure what your tring to do ultimately, but if you do RTFM you see:

mount /mountpoint -o remount,rw
do stuff
mount /mountpoint -o remount,ro

most flags can can be changed ....

If you want to do it on a filesystem that contains /etc (ie /etc/mtab is,
or will be, on a readonly fs), then you need the -n switch too.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.