Re: Does linux locks swap file?

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:37:29 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Boris Tobotras wrote:

> If I've understood sys_swapon() correctly, there is no increment
> of inode's usage counter if swapping goes to regular file. If this
> assumption is correct, it is definitely a bug. If it is wrong, please
> tell me why :)

No, sys_swapon is fine, because namei() increments the inode's i_count.

> This was inspired by report of someone who was able to crash
> system just by removing active swap file.

Hmm... strange. I'm unable to replicate this behavior, and the space used
by the swapfile does _not_ get deallocated when the file is unlinked.
However, there is a (small) problem here: since the swapoff procedure is
filename-based and there is no way to reference an unlinked file by
filename, you can't swapoff that file.

Correcting this problem implies changing the parameters for sys_swapoff,
which I definitely don't want to do.

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.