Re: Writing to CDR drive...

Kevin 'Frostbyte' McCormick (fbyte@sub-zero.mit.edu)
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 15:07:55 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Kambiz Aghaiepour wrote:

> Derrik> On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Kambiz Aghaiepour wrote:
>
> >> I'm trying to write to my philips cdd2000 drive which I can do just
> >> fine under windows 95, but linux keeps complaining that the device is
> >> read only. It is viewed by linux to be a CDRom drive. How can I
> >> enable the write option? Is this a kernel parameter at compile time
> >> I may have missed?
>
> Derrik> (a) Make sure you have all the right utilities. (b) CDR's class
> Derrik> as SCSI generic, so add SCSI generic device support into your
> Derrik> kernel, either directly or as a module.
>
> Derrik> Derrik Pates dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu
>
> Well, I have done this. And in fact I can mount CDs from this drive.
> But cdwrite fails on the open() with the O_RDWR option.
>
> Kambiz

What device have you specified for the CD writer? You need to use
/dev/sga, /dev/sgb, etc., not /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0.

This does not belong on either linux-kernel or linux-sound. Get the
CD-Writer Mini-HOWTO and subscribe yourself to the cdwrite mailing list by
sending a request to cdwrite-request@pixar.com.

Kevin "Frostbyte" McCormick kmccorm@mit.edu - root@sub-zero.mit.edu
Massachusetts Institute of Technology You should be running Linux!
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None. They just define darkness as an industry standard.