Re: Jive -> Kernel (International Linux) (fwd)

Stephan Meyer (sensei@munich.netsurf.de)
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 20:12:57 +0100 (MET)

Binding multi-language support to the shell only is not a good idea.

I want nice German error messages telling me that the root filesystem
crashed :-).
I'm sure that, for many people, a major reason to use Windows is having
native language text. It's just that you feel "at home".

I hereby vote for the include-file-#define-solution.
- does not enlarge kernel
- works from the very first boot message on
- translations could be done by simple kernel patches
- by using include files, translations are version-independent

Please correct me. I'm not a kernel hacker, but have done quite a bit of
programming.

cheers, Stephan