Re: followup: 2.0.28 kills gus sound

Benjamin C R LaHaise (blah@dot.superaje.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:21:23 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Michael Nelson wrote:

> After letting this kernel, which was complaining about being out of
> memory everytime a sound file was played, run overnight, dmesg reports:
>
> Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
> Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
> Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
> Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
> Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

Silly sound driver... in drivers/soundcard.c around line 661, two
possible changes might be made:
a) change GFP_ATOMIC to GFP_KERNEL (I think - there might be
other issues at hand here preventing this)
b) if a doesn't work, change the while condition
to >= PAGE_SIZE from >

This is just the same old problem of not having enough contiguous dma
memory. Odd that 2.0.28 triggers this.

-b