Re: 2.0.28: NFS caching fix did not make it

Thomas Roessler (roessler@sobolev.rhein.de)
15 Jan 1997 13:07:40 GMT

In article <5bge7v$8et$1@miriam.fuller.edu>, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>There was a NFS fix posted by Olaf Kirch that did not make it into 2.0.28:
>This is very important since most locking over NFS is done this way.

A propos locking - how about the flock(2) semantics which are broken in
2.0.27 (LOCK_EX is possible even if the locking process can't write to the
file being locked)? I don't see any patches to the relevant parts of the
kernel source, and this *is* a relevant issue. See also the
denial-of-service attacks against various getties and login programs.

tlr

--
Thomas Roessler                  	  http://home.pages.de/~roessler/