Re: modutils, the next generation

Martin Buck (Martin-2.Buck@student.uni-ulm.de)
Mon, 13 Jan 97 17:43 MET

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.970113101148.7981A-100000@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de> you wrote:
> [...]
> PS. Is there any simple way to put some magic number in front of an
> object file containing a module ?

Sorry, no answer to your question, but I've got another question concerning
modules and their recognition:
Why do modules use .o as extension? Of course, they're object files, but
very special ones, so an extension like .mod would make much more sense,
IMHO. If I remeber correctly, the old insmod/depmod/modprobe (never looked
at TNG) even checked for .mod in some places, but it didn't work because
the check for .mod was missing at some other places.

Martin

--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */
/* Student of electrical engineering   WWW: http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_mbuck1/ */