Re: module efficiency

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:39:32 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Egor Egorov wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Jennifer Lauren Carmack wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if there is any difference in speed or efficiency
> > between compiled-in drivers and modular drivers.
>
> Doesn't matter.

Linux Journal ran an article a few months ago saying that excessive use of
modules can be a small waste of RAM. Something about modules allocating
memory in 4kb blocks...so a 1kb module wastes 3kb that wouldn't be wasted
if it was compiled in instead. Except for very low memory systems, this
is probably insignificant.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______