Re: How to increat [sic.] max open files?

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 00:06:36 -0500

From: rdm@tad.micro.umn.edu
Date: 7 Jan 1997 20:50:18 -0000

David Miller:
> This is a classic SMP problem. Think about the things which UNIX
> guarentees about the select() system call, now apply this to a
> multiprocessor system. Wheee...

Which guarantees?

Or rather, what does it mean that a file descriptor becomes available
for _____ (reading, ...)?

I could be largely mistaken. But last I checked many commercial
Unices guarenteed that when select returned stating that a file
descriptor could be read/written to, it was guarenteed to be done in a
non-blocking manner, and that applications do depend upon this very
behavior.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><