Re: Kernel panic: EXT2-fs panic

Portmaster Group (cococo2@cococo.net)
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:13:53 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997 Ricky Beam wrote:

> Letting the chips far where they may, I quote Matt Nelson:
> >
> >HELP! I've gotten my first kernel panic! I have *no* idea what to do.
>
> <grin> reboot and see if it does it again...
>
> > Jan 7 14:21:37 gumby kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:11, sector 528
> >The funny thing is that the scsidisk error says dev 08:11; is it refering
> >to:
> >
> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 11 Sep 12 1994 /dev/sda11
>
> That's a HEX number... so it is 8, 17 or /dev/sdb1 that it's bitchin' about.
>
> Check the cables. If it keeps happening, try turning off the cache. (Not the
> CPU's cache but the COAST module cache.)
>
> - --Ricky

I had this happen to me about 3 weeks ago, it ran for another 5 or 6
days and did it again. I rebooted and it did it again within 5 minutes. I
proceeded to replace the drive and it hasn't happened since. Then I see
your message about the COAST module. The machine this is on has 256KB
cache on board and a 256K COAST module plugged into the board. I have
128MB Ram, which was upped from 64MB(COAST at about the same time also) in
the last month or so. The machine it is on has a G586IPC motherboard with
the 82430HX chipset.
Is this a common occurence, the drive ran flawlessly for 4 or 5 months,
before the upgrade, had a bad CPU fan that was wreaking havoc, but
everything settled down when this was fixed. Appreciate any insight into
this problem for the future.

Later
Kelley

PS - If you reply could you cc: me I only get the digest.