Re: reserve= not working, drivers fail to do check_region

Andrew E. Mileski (aem@ott.hookup.net)
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:56:17 -0500 (EST)

> Kohtala Marko (Marko.Kohtala@ntc.nokia.com) wrote:
> : Many drivers do I/O without check_region if user gives the address or
> : the card is in PCI devices. I do not think they should, since they'll
> : fail at request_region. Most net drivers based on the skeleton are
> : like this.
>
> I think these drivers are using check_region the "correct" way. One
> of the reasons for using "reserve=" is to prevent arbitrary drivers
> from probing at a particular address, but then later telling a
> specific driver to use that address. The later request_region() call
> will "fail", but request_region() doesn't return an indication of
> success or failure anyway.

Perhaps it's time for me to finish off and insert my code for
the new hardware resource managment API into the kernel.
This is part of the PnP code btw, but it is not PnP specific.

--
Andrew E. Mileski   mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/