Re: Memory deallocation problems

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 23:27:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Jan 1997, Jake (not the snake) Messinger wrote:

> And one other thing. I have 96 megs on a triton II board witht he intel
> 430vx chipset. SOmeone on #linux said it wont cache past 64megs. First of
> all, is that true, 2nd what exactly did he mean, 3rd, should I be
> concerned with it, 4th, is there a better motherboard I should get?

Don't believe everything you read on IRC. He was thinking Triton I.
Triton II will happily cache lots more than 64mb if you have enough tag.
On a Tomcat I|II|III (popular Triton II board), you can cache up to 64mb
by default, or 512mb if you buy/install an extra tag chip.

If you had 96mb on a Triton I, the last 1/3 of your RAM would not be
cached, and if you actually used that RAM, things would possibly slow
down.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______