Re: Display and keyboard drivers configuration option for embedded systems

Paul Flinders (ptf@datasci.co.uk)
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 10:04:13 GMT

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Followup to: <199701071037.KAA00870@mailhost.datasci.co.uk>
> By author: ptf@datasci.co.uk ("Paul Flinders")
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > Does this sound like SYSV Streams to anyone else?
> >

> Not really. The keyboard port really *is* just a serial port (with a
> non-UART hardware interface very similar or possibly identical to the
> PS/2 mouse port) and we're already doing SLIP and PPP as line
> disciplines. It might be useful to do a keyboard line discipline
> too.

But this is one of the features of streams, isn't it?

Protocols, line discipline etc are divorced from the underlying
(hardware) drivers.

As you point out the keyboard port is just another serial port with
different hardware. I should be able to use the same input line discipline
code with a PS/2 keyboard or one on a "real" serial line. The original
poster (sorry, lost the attribution) wanted to split the port handling from
the keyboard line discipline. It was this split which sounded very streams
like.

There is already a Linux streams project (although I hear roumers that it's
gone quiet) so this work may already be being done.

Paul.