Re: 2.1.14+ bootp?

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:08:12 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Janos Farkas wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > >My hypothesis is that the 2.1.15 'routing' change isn't working well with
> > >the bootp code. Or vica versa. Can anyone get bootp nfsroot to work on
> > >kernels above 2.1.14?
> >
> > Same here. Currently working around this by using an initrd which does
> > the network setup for NFS-Root.
>
> Huh.. :) echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_bootp_agent (or something very
> similar) and spread the word.

Ha, *this* is for the server side. But try to boot a linux kernel > 2.1.14
with "root=/dev/nfs nfsaddrs=bootp" (or so), it simply does not work. The
kernel tells he sends bootp packets, but you can't see them with tcpdump.
Doing the network setup (with the bootpc program and a script) within the
initrd works.

Gerd