Re: Should depmod/modprobe really need libg++

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:51:26 +1100

Robin Becker writes:
> I just tried out the latest 970301 modutils with Linus-2.1.20 still
> no luck.
>
> In addition depmod/modprobe requires yet another library libg++.
> Is this wise? My rescue disks are already large enough and since
> typical usage requires depmod & modprobe at boot more space is needed
> either for the additional library or for the libg++ bit to be statically
> linked in. I certainly don't remember libg++ being part of the essential
> libraries in the FSSTD. What's going on with the modutils?

This is very bad. The modutils are critical for install/rescue
discs. We can't afford to have libg++ on a floppy. Please, all those
writing critical system utilities: don't use g++. We can't afford the
bloat or the bugs.

Regards,

Richard....