Re: quick question about modules in the kernel

Neptho T (Neptho@neptho.unixgeek.com)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:07:02 +0000 ( )

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Benedict P. Barszcz wrote:

> Hi,
> How to replace my modules-2.0.0 with the new 2.1.13.src.tar.gz?
> I am not sure where I should unpack them...
> --
Browsing the tar file, one can see that it creates a modules-2.13
subdirectory, thus making it safe to unpack in /usr/src, I suppose it
could be unpacked into /usr/src/linux, but considering that 2.1.x is
development, and that those modules are requiring patches to work with
later 2.1.x kernels, I prefer to give them their own directory.

Below is a simple command line to take a look into a tar.gz file, I use
it just to see if it has been created with its own directory, htus making
it safe to unpack into /usr/src or if I need to create a dir for it rather
than having scattered files in /usr/src:

---8<---snip---8<---
#!/bin/sh
#tgzls
#Stolen from Linux journal...
tar -tvzf $1 | tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f8

- Neptho T.
Neptho T. Hackman The thing that separates men from animals is that
The Prince of Perversia we don't use our tongues to clean our own genitals
neptho@fucking.bored.com A. J. Rimmer
Systems Administrator - System Programmer - Security Consultant - Unix Demigod