Re: How to increat [sic.] max open files?

Alessandro Suardi (asuardi@uninetcom.it)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 02:06:41 +0100

Richard Gooch wrote:

[megasnip]
> Did you know that Solaris 2 has a kernel-level "telnetd" for the
> express reason of reducing the number of processes on the system?
> Because hundreds of "telnetd" processes load the system. Each of those
> "telnetd" processes do comparatively little work (compared to the
> shell the user is running). A single process/task can do the work of
> hundreds, leaving the kernel so schedule the more important jobs:
> users' shells.
> They've learnt that too many processes is a bad thing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

actually in-kernel telnetd (and perhaps rlogind) is in Solaris 2.4 and
higher if I remember correctly, and the (ahem) express reason was that
at least one large customer was screaming about their 8-way Sparc1000
crawling under 200 or so telnet connections and nothing else running on
it... SunSolve bugreports are sometimes an enlightening reading. BTW an
all-time favorite is Adrian Cockcroft saying "HP-UX can't have *this*
POSIX-compliant _and_ running this fast. Or if they have, somebody go
and steal how they do it !"... well, something very similar.

Cheers,

--alessandro <asuardi@uninetcom.it> <asuardi@it.oracle.com>

Linux kernel-2.1.20 libc-5.4.17 gcc-2.7.2.1 binutils-2.7.0.3