Re: Important note for modutils snapshot for 970103

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Sun, 05 Jan 1997 10:04:53 +1100

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:51:00 +0100 (MET),
Hans Lermen <lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de> wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Keith Owens wrote:
>
>> The kernel patch adds a line to autoconf.h to detect mismatches between
>> config.h and module.h, config.h must appear before module.h if
>> EXPORT_... is used in the source. If you still get the above messages
>> after rebuilding and saving your config, it means the source needs
>> editting to add config.h before module.h.
>>
>> I have sent Linus a patch for the 32 sources that are wrong plus
>> [ ... ]
>
>Needless to say that just a '#include <config.h>' in module.h would solve
>the problem.
>
>Hans
><lermen@fgan.de>

Including config.h in module.h would definitely fix the problem but it
would also make *every* module dependent on config.h. Only those
sources that use the EXPORT_... macros need to include config.h, this
is not *every* source. Since mkdep goes to the bother of warning about
unnecessary use of config.h, it is obviously not Linus's intention to
include config.h except where it is really required. Hence the current
approach to patch just the sources that need it.