Re: Serious ext2fs problem

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 05:08:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> EXT2-fs error (device 08:31): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 546
>
> in it when this happens (device 8:31 is /dev/sdd1, which is the RAID
> disk). I have shutdown INN, unmounted the disk, and run fsck on it, but
> that never finds any errors. I also re-made the filesystem on it once,
>
> Please read the e2fsck man page about "reporting bugs", where it

I've seen this sort of thing happen as well on my news server.
e2fsck 1.01, 30-Oct-95 for EXT2 FS 0.5a, 95/03/19
I've always just assumed it was read corruption which didn't get written
back to the disk. Usually, though, when I have kernel messages about fs
problems, I really do have them :(

e2fsck usually knows better than I do about how to go about fixing
things...so especially on the news spool disks, I use -fy when I have to
manually e2fsck them.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______