Re: Serious ext2fs problem

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:34:15 -0500

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 15:48:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <aem@nic.ott.hookup.net>

> Two questions:
> 1) How can I fix the filesystem?

I've found there are some errors which the kernel detects, but the
_latest_ fsck doesn't (and therefore can't repair). To cure one recurring
error, I ended up re-mkfs on the partition :-(

Perhaps fsck (ext2) needs an update?

How about a full and complete description of the problem, so I have a
chance of figuring out what sort update (if any) fsck needs?

The most common "problem" that we've come across is when an inode gets
corrupted such that the immutable flag is set, and people can't remove
it using unlink(). (You need to use chattr to clear the immutable flag
first). But that's not a filesystem or fsck bug, but rather a user
misunderstanding.....

- Ted