Re: Proposal: restrict link(2)

Benny Amorsen (amorsen@sscnet.com)
30 Dec 1996 20:35:53 +0100

SC> Well, on THAT system we had ~400 accounts on a 300M paritition.
SC> Even with 1M quota, one was more likely to run out of physical
SC> disk space.

The problem seems to be that hard links are useful to conserve disk
space. Well how about implementing copy-on-write semantics in the file
system? That is, cp foo bar should not duplicate any file data, but
only a little metadata. That should be transparent to user programs,
but it would have the distinct advantage that everyone knows the
semantics of cp, while it seems people are getting pretty confused
about ln.

I think the rest of ln's uses are being done by file owners.
Counterexamples welcome.

Benny