Re: NT vulnerable to attack on CPU

William Burrow (aa126@fan.nb.ca)
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 15:59:08 -0400 (AST)

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Some sort of security daemon could load user limits into the kernel
> as each UID is first used. The kernel could dispose of the per-UID
> information as soon as the count of processes with a particular UID
> reaches zero. Those system admins that don't need detailed user
> control could just skip the daemon, which would make the kernel use
> defaults. (something hacked info/from kerneld?)
>
> There may be more uses than just user limits.

Why don't you just implement a security model like MVS, whereby the
kernel asks some central security daemon whether it should complete a
function call or not. This has already been mentioned on the list. I am
sure that ex-mainframers taking a look at Linux would fall in love with
something like this. ;) People who don't want this model get the usual
Unix semantics.

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1996 William Burrow