Re: Proposal: restrict link(2)

Kevin M. Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 02:16:53 -0500

Daniel Linder wrote:

[clip]
> I agree with Mr. VanDevender on this point. I personally have never
>used Quota on Linux so maybe this idea is off, but how about adding the
>smarts to the quota distribution? If this affects us, then it probably
>affects any other Unix using the same quota system (is there any other
>UNIX using the standard Linux quota?). I do not see the reasoning that we
>need to break the kernel (be it a compile time option or what) and make it
>non-Posix compliant just for one program. What options do we have to make
>Quota able to understand the linking "problem".
>
>Dan
>
>---
>Daniel Linder :: WebCentric Communications, Inc.
>dlinder@webcentric.net
>http://www.webcentric.net
>(402) 346-9466

How about this:

Quota's can calculate usage by dividing the disk file by the
user count. A 500 MB file can be shared by 5 people who each
"pay" 100 MB.

(unfortunately this requires quota to read directories. I don't
know if quota has to do this already, does it just go through
owners of inodes (and is that possible in a userspace program)?
I really don't know quota that well.)

Then quota calculates for each user:

cost per user = total file size * (1 / # of users hard linking the file)

--kmb203@psu.edu---------------Debian/GNU--1.2---Linux--2.0.25---
Develop free apps? http://www.jagunet.com/~braddock/fslu/org
ACHTUNG!
Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist
easyschnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und corkenpoppen
mitspitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen.
Dasrubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets.
Relaxen undvatch das blinkenlights!!!