Re: ldconfig

Andrew Pollard (andrew@odie.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:15:04 GMT

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Eric Horst wrote:
>
>> i believe that it wants the 'e' on the end removed. i'm betting that it
>> is inconsistent in that it doesn't follow the standard lib*.so.#.#.# form.
>>

>> /sbin/ldconfig: warning: /usr/lib/libmenu.so.1.9.9e has inconsistent
>> soname (libmenu.so.3.0), skipping
>
> No...the problem seems to be that we're calling the library a totally
> different version from what it calls itself. Strings on the lib shows
> that it wants to be libmenu.so.3.0 as ldconfig complains. I tried
> removing the e anyway, and it still bitched about the inconsistant soname.
> The ELF-howto mentions this and says to ignore the error. It seems hard
> to do.

I had this on my system... I had links from .so.1.9, .so.2.1, .so.3.0
to .so.1.9.9e (which was the actual file). I just changed the actual
file to be .so.3.0 and re did the links. This got rid of the warning
:-) It happened with all the ncurses-1.9.9e libraries...

This was with ld.so 1.8.5.

Andrew.
| Andrew Pollard, Integral Solutions Ltd UK.| Work: andrewp@isl.co.uk |
| Tel:+44(0)1256 55899 Fax:+44(0)1256 63467 | Home: andrew@odie.demon.co.uk |