Re: GB vs MB - a proposal

Neil Moore (amethyst@valjean.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us)
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:48:18 -0500

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Neil Moore wrote:
> > Especially when considering that bels are measured exponentially.
> > 1 MB is 1E100000 times as loud as 100dB, which is approximately
> > the human pain threshold.
>
> Is that logarithmic or exponential? I don't remember. In any case, I
> wonder how much damage a 1 MB sound would cause if let loose on the
> surface of the Earth in the middle of, say, downtown Washington D.C. or
> Los Angelas :)

It is exponential. Logarithmic functions have decreasing slopes,
exponential functions have increasing slopes.

I would say 1 MB sound would turn a great deal of the earth to dust,
or at least to Jell-O. Might be handy for getting rid of Microsoft.

--
-Neil Moore          http://www.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us/~amethyst
(finger amethyst@valjean.sfhs.floyd.k12.ky.us for my Geek Code)