Re: Possible kernel optimization

Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:44:49 -0800

--VKOGQoF3Shv8vNpD

Ingo Molnar writes:

> now that we definitely do ELF bootloading only, it's the right time to
> start thinking about the details? :)
>
> btw, imho it would be cleaner if we did it this way:
>
> - define an 'init module'. This 'module' can be unloaded after booting
> has finished. Just by calling 'rmmod initmodule' from user-space.
>
> the boot code has to set up this 'module', and we need support from the
> kernel image linker too. The kernel could decrease the kernel usage
> counter once all init functions in it were called?

Sounds OK with me, but why stop there? Make every part of the kernel
internals a module. Then, to upgrade a system, one unloads everything except
the module code, then reloads all the new modules except the init module,
then loads the init module. And boom, it boots again. :) So upgrading is
only necessary when updating the module code.

I'm sure this is just as easy as it sounds. :)

--
    _ ____  Joe Fouche (jf@ugcs.caltech.edu)
 ___| |---       Deranged College Student

--VKOGQoF3Shv8vNpD Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

--VKOGQoF3Shv8vNpD--