Re: Mega Patch #8, or "Why stop now while we haven't broken it all"

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 01:31:33 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, flove wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > Ok #8, should compile a bit better

I'll try it, for #7, I added an include for config.h into plip.h and
kdbg.h since make complained that it needed it. Don't know if that was the
correct procedure but it completed the make though I got these two warning
messages:

devinet.c: In function `devinet_ioctl':
devinet.c:139: warning: implicit declaration of function `dev_load'
socket.c: In function `sys_recvmsg':
socket.c:1210: warning: `len' might be used uninitialized in this function

I could not see how len might turn out to be unitialized.

> > 4MB pages enabled with SMP (speed up hopefully - benchmarks ?)

Have to try that.

> > Alan
> > PS: about 50% of people downloading the mega patch appear to stop off
> > and download the exploding whale avi.

Sorry, but gawd, is it a riot! I didn't down load it, a buddy did
when I mentioned its existence so I guess I am culpable for that
particular 11M disruption!

> I applied megapatch7 to the 2.1 kernel and applied the patch to remove
> breakpoint() __unless__ I deinfe CONFIG_GDB_REMOTE. My NE2000
> networking __and__ SMP are now working!

It seemed that adding and include for config.h fixed that up.

> Excellent work!

No lie! Hardly any futzing around, this note is coming from a
P6DOF board. I am running mostly off a raid with 4 scsi hosts
ethernet ne2000 working fine, etc.

A googooplex of thanks!

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;