Re: Mega Patch #8, or "Why stop now while we haven't broken it all"

flove (flove@mindspring.com)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:29:31 -0500

Alan Cox wrote:

> Ok #8, should compile a bit better
>
> Arcnet compiles (might even work)
> Token ring should be ok
> The MCA stuff might work (someone has it working I think I'm short a diff
> still).
> 4MB pages enabled with SMP (speed up hopefully - benchmarks ?)
> Misc small fixes
>
> Still broken: quite a bit of module loading, all the masquerade stuff
>
> To build this uniprocessor remember to comment out SMP=1 in the top
> Makefile
>
> All this and more available on your local shadow.cabi.net mirror
>
> Alan
> PS: about 50% of people downloading the mega patch appear to stop off
> and download the exploding whale avi. "whale.avi" is available at lots
> of places and thats meant as a local cache copy. Ask altavista for
> your nearest whale.avi source please 8)

Hi Alan,
I applied megapatch7 to the 2.1 kernel and applied the patch to remove
breakpoint() __unless__ I deinfe CONFIG_GDB_REMOTE. My NE2000
networking __and__ SMP are now working!

I still get this when I boot up:
route forgot to specify route netmask.

This is caused by these two statements in rc.inet1:

/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

ASny ideas?

Excellent work!

BTW: I have not tried 4M pages yet. I have 64 MEG of RAM. Will it make
a difference?

Thanks, Fred