Re: Why doesn't Apache/Stronghold like Linux 2.0.x?

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:40:51 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Joshua M. Thompson wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, David N. Cicalo wrote:
>
> > We are experiencing the same problems as well as you've described. To
> > be noted though, the problem occurs on AIX and NT platforms as well.
> > One user has confirmed that the problem did not exist on Apache 1.0.3.
> > Therefore, I must suggest that the problem lie in either Apache/
> > Stronghold or possibly even GNU compilation, though I suspect the latter
> > to be less probable.
>
> I didn't _used_ to have this problem with Apache 1.1.1.. As I said, it
> started appearing somewhere in the early 2.0s. Something in the kernel
> changed -- it's possible that the changes fixed something that Apache
> assumes is wrong.

I agree that the problem must be in Apache: until a few days ago, our
main web server was running 2.0.0 (VERY stable - never a problem with it,
uptimes of 90 days) with Apache 1.3.1 (haven't gotten around to update to
1.3.2 yet). Then I decided to give a go to 2.0.27, which ran smoothly on
my workstation (which is nearly the same hardware, with less memory and
smaller hard drive, but I don't run exactly the same programs - no Apache
for instance). Immediatly Apache began to run weird, it took forever to
get web pages even on the ethernet. I immediatly downgraded to 2.0.0, and
everything is now running smoothly.

Now, I'm going to upgrade kernel by kernel to see on which kernel it
brakes, and I'll follow up here.

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

#include <disclaimer.h>