Re: sound module - setting initial volume

Dan Merillat (Dan@merillat.org)
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 20:05:49 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Daniel G. Linder wrote:

> Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 13:12:57 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Daniel G. Linder" <dlinder@webcentric.net>
> To: Hannu Savolainen <hannu@voxware.pp.fi>
> Cc: Nils Philippsen <nts5niph@rhds01.rz.fht-esslingen.de>,
> submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com
> Subject: Re: sound module - setting initial volume
>
> I have not hacked on kerneld, nor even looked at the code so this is just
> a "feeler" for others to think about. I might get ambitious and work on
> it later but I don't use modules much myself.

Hmm... what is needed is for the module to output the data it wants to save
during the unload_module stage... and request it during init_module.
kerneld should have runtime placeholders... Of course, if you kill and
restart kerneld it throws away the runtime, but that's not something you
should find yourself doing often.

/proc fails because that means you would have to teach kerneld about
the filenames of EVERY device you want to monitor... so a datablock that
any module can send to kerneld is much preferable.

--Dan