Re: Linux-2.0.27 and 2.1.14 ( dont dance yet )

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:23:19 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Cousin Gerard wrote:

> I used a Tyan 825 for 6 months and have had experienced only 2 GROSS
> ERROR(s). I have moved hundreds of GB with it.
> The documentation is wrong about termination set-up.

No flame intended against the NCR based adapters.

> I currently use a Promise SCSI ULTRA with 53C875 chip (11 days).
> The documentation is not clear about termination set-up. I had to guess
> the right set-up for Wide + Narrow internal devices.
> I only replaced the board, all cables and devices are unchanged.
> I have done heavy tests with it under 2.0.27 and 2.1.13 with an enhanced
> version of the driver that uses some new features of the NCR53C875.
> I've probably moved hundreds of GB with my 2 HD (Atlas Wide + IBMS12) and
> my CDROM Tosh 3401B working at the same time.
> Config: memory mapped + 8 tags.
>
> For the moment, ZERO problem.

No flames intended, it is good to hear this.

> Agreed about heat problems with high-end hard disks. However, in my
> opinion, heat problem is a general problem. _All_ components are
> concerned. Cool disks + hot chips crashes as well.

Agreed, that is why I would like to have temperature controlled fans
(assuming that there are sufficient fans to be able to slow them down at
least occasionally) and a general over-temp shutdown (though it is my
understanding that P6 will shut itself down under extreme conditions,
elevated temperatures will shorten the life span of most electronics).
Reliability tests are usually done at elevated temperatures (and some
times voltages for) thes reasons - both age electronics very quickly.

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;