Re: Linux and 6x86

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:49:43 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, James L. McGill wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, B. James Phillippe wrote:
>

> > > kernel would be the best to run using the Cyrix 6x86. I've followed most
> >
> > I think that 2.1.5+ is looking best so far. From experience, I've
> >

> Is this meant to imply that Cyrix chips are a problem?
> Is there some reason they are not compatable with e.g., 2.0.27 ?

No, they work with all kernels fine. But unless you use the patches
(which are against 2.1.5+), the kernel is detected as a 486 and the HLT
register won't be enabled. Plus, the patches put some of the nice
features of the chip to work, such as VSPM (variable sized paging
mechanism).

-bp

--
# B. James Phillippe # Network/System Administrator #
# <bryan@terran.org> # http://w3.terran.org/~bryan  #