Re: new NTP/PPS patch available

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:52:15 +0100

On 6 Dec 96 at 1:23, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 08:23:34 +0100
>
> Now it's also in the interrupt routine (of the serial driver). I'm
> afraid you are talking about new features I haven't heard about. Is
> there an option to get the time-stamp of an interrupt? That would be
> what I need, but currently the time-stamp is only taken if it's
> definitely needed, and not for every serial interrupt.
>
> No, I was talking about adding such an option. Yes, the disadvantage is
> that you will be taking a time-stamp for every interrupt on that irq
> (instead of just when the carrier detect line changes). But the place
> where you are doing the time-stamp will be much cleaner, and result in
> more accurate times for the PPS calculations.

I have no problems using such an option once it is present. I'm quite
flexible as long as the new features won't change every week. In
general I'm still unsure whether the patch is wanted at all.

> I also got the suggestion to add a streams-like ioctl for
> timestamping.
>
> I have no idea what the person meant by that suggestion....

About the same thing that you are planning, it seems. I must admit
that I don't know streams a lot.

> - Ted
Ulrich