Re: Zip drive with IDE

Julian Sassenscheidt (julian@lav.de)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:25:01 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Vampy wrote:

> Hello. I was looking for backup driver for my linux box. I read about the
> linux-zipDrive-howto in sunsite. And it said that the external zip drive
> is SCSI designed. I have an IDE controller. Is it possible external zip
> dirve will work on my computer if I compiled my kernel to support SCSI
> device?

Hei there...

You definitley CAN'T run a SCSI-device on a IDE-controller.
But You can buy a ZIP-drive for the parallel port. The SCSI-driver for
the ZIP-drive is for the parallel drive, it uses the ZIP-drive as
a SCSI-device, even if You have no SCSI-controller.
The SCSI-version of the ZIP-drive don't need any driver if You have a
SCSI-Controller and compiled the SCSI generic support in Your kernel.

best, julisn

Julian Sassenscheidt / Hamburg / Germany / Linux-Kernel 2.0.27
Internet E-Mail: julian@spitfire.lav.de
WWW-Homepage: http://www.lavielle.com/~julian/julian.html
PGP-Fingerprint: 8D 2A 90 2E 88 76 10 57 94 E0 7C FC 92 21 40 AC