Re: ps segfault

Todd R. Eigenschink (eigenstr@mixi.net)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:07:44 -0500

>On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Gerald Britton wrote:
>
>> we just noticed this "ps axf" causes a segmentation fault on 2.0.23 using
>> the procps-1.01 ...
>
>Doesn't do that here. Same versions used.

Ditto, under "normal" circumstances. It does, however, seg fault when
(it seems) there are "too many" processes running.

Normally, there are ~50 processes running. I've seen situations where
the Postgres server has gone awry, connections have backed up, there
have been more like 100 processes (load average of 38+ with heavy disk
I/O and still fair response times!) and `ps axf' will die. I'm
guessing there's a hardwired limit somewhere in the forest formatting
(because `ps aux' is fine), but a quick glance at ps.c doesn't reveal
anything.

Todd

--
Todd R. Eigenschink		Midwest Internet Exchange, Inc.
eigenstr@mixi.net		http://www.mixi.net/