Re: Kernel 2.1.14 bug: scripts absent from ps listing

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.wal.rhno.columbia.edu)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:27:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Erik B. Andersen wrote:

> The point is, if you run a script on 2.1.14, the script does not show up
> in the process status listing. This is obviously a problem! It seems the
> kernel adjustments to make scripts run again in 2.1.14 need a bit more work.

This is the behavior I get on my 2.1.14 box:

moisil ~# cat foo
#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]; do
sleep 20;
done
moisil:~# ./foo &
[1] 14808
moisil:~# ps |grep foo
14808 ttyp6 S 0:00 bash ./foo
14816 ttyp6 S 0:00 grep foo
moisil:~#

and on SunOS 4.1.3:

ciao ~$ ./foo &
[1] 16430
ciao ~$ ps |grep foo
16430 qc S 0:00 /bin/bash ./foo
16634 qc S 0:00 grep foo
ciao ~$

Looks fine to me (and yes, I tried the same thing on linux as a normal
user, it doesn't make any difference)...

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.