Re: OOPS in 2.0.25

Nathan Bryant (nathan@burgessinc.com)
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 21:37:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Ion Badulescu wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Nathan Bryant wrote:
>

> > I realized something after I posted this message: Since I ran ksymoops on
> > a different machine than the one that actually OOPSes (because when I
> > tried to compile ksymoops on that machine I got signal 11), wouldn't that
> > invalidate the disassembler output?
>
> It could change everything, except for the code disassembly. However, if
> the machines have similar configurations, chances are that even the stack
> trace was largely correct.

I did transfer the System.map file over from the machine that OOPSed, by
the way, so the symbols should be correct.

How much information does ksymoops get from the running kernel, and how
much does it get from the System.map and the OOPS output? Does it get the
disassembler output from the OOPS output or the running kernel?

| Nathan Bryant | Resident Unix Geek |
| nathan@burgessinc.com | Burgess Business Solutions, Inc. |