Re: PPP-Problem?! A short question...

Matthias Welwarsky (dg2fef@uet.th-darmstadt.de)
Sun, 01 Dec 1996 20:04:48 +0100

Tuomas Heino wrote:

> netscape does that sometimes on _SLOW_ connections... you might have
> wrong MTU or something... (common values for MTU are 296, 1006 and
> 1500(default))

This is not a netscape issue, I`d say. Seems more likely to be a
congested router dropping frames. Since TCP/IP is an end-to-end
protocol, all handshaking about flow control is done between the two
peer partners. It's difficult to decide whether the frames got dropped
due to congestion or were lost on a noisy line, and if your decision is
wrong, the actions you take against it are likely to make things worse
;-)

Try decreasing the MTU setting, but don't go below 296. Try decreasing
the number of simultaneous connections in netscapes' "Options/Network
Preferences".

BTW this is a bit off topic in the linux-kernel list ,-)

--
Matthias