Re: News gateway problem

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 11:26:17 +1100

Albert Cahalan writes:
> Can we cut off this source of spam?
>
> First the gateway is used to collect email addresses. Then it
> actually lets spam hit the mailing list. The only email account
> of mine which gets spam is the one used to mail linux-kernel.
>
> For news-to-mail, I ask that the gateway require a Linux: header
> in the message. The gateway should drop cancel messages instead
> of pass them to the list like it does now.
>
> For mail-to-news, I ask that the From:, Reply-To:, and other
> headers with an email address be changed to have randomly
> generated addresses such as 1f98a759@f37a.3dcd.com.

It looks like we have to start taking action to prevent spam (as
much as we can, anyway). This seems like a good idea.
I just recently received 3 spam messages, presumably linux-kernel
related (although I haven't actually sent any message to this list for
over a month). Friends, if you can spare a minute, please send a
"please don't spam" message together with a uuencoded copy of
/usr/bin/emacs to the follow addresses:

ab.general@atlas.uniserve.com
ktechsys@interport.net
decicco@ix.netcom.com

I won't chew more bandwidth by including the actual spam (available on
request to those who actually care).
Now, back to what matters...

Regards,

Richard....