Re: init's high CPU usage (2.0.23)

James R. Leu (jleu@chaos.coredcs.com)
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:01:05 -0600 (CST)

> James R. Leu wrote:
> >
> > I have a machine running 2.0.23. Recently the CPU usage has been quite
> > high. Most of the time I notice that init is taking up large abouts of CPU
> > time. When looking at long term xload graphs, one can see the very regular
> > spikes. Is there someway to find out why init is sucking so much CPU.
>
> Check your syslog files. And this is off-topic for
> linux-kernel.

I never knew a discussion of such a "trivial" (saracasm) process such as init
was not for the kernel list.

Alright folks, give me some credit could ya? I check over syslog files with a
fine tooth comb before I even thought of senting to the list. There is
nothing in the syslog files that points to any type of run away processes.

So back to my next question. I know init handle the creation of login/shell
proceses, but what else does it do? Does it do anything with receiving data
off of ethernet? Would init be effected if there where multiple IP's
bound to the ethernet card? How able fragmented packets, or a SYN attack?

I guess my problem is that I don't understand init enough to know what would
affect it. If someone has a FAQ that explains the task of init, let me know
and I'll quietly go hide in a corner and read it.

BTW if it wasn't for the fact that I need a working tulip driver, I would try
a newer kernel.

James

--
James R. Leu