Re: Linux & ECC memory

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 18:35:20 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Keith Rohrer wrote:

> > Most importantly, can (does) Linux take advantage of this?
> I'd imagine all you'd have to do is make sure it was enabled in your
> BIOS and let your chipset do the rest...Linux would see ECC failures as
> parity errors, probably.

Can Linux then deal with a parity error in a useful manner? It seems that
short of a memory error in the kernel or in the various paging tables, it
should be possible to deal with faulty memory in a non-panic fashion.
(Although nothing permanent is possible if there is no mechanism for
marking pages "bad" so they won't be used again.)