2.1.8 mis-identifies serial port type

Peter Denison (peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:37:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> What UART do you have in your system? What UART was detected in the
> bootup messages? What application were you using, and how did you

Following up to other people's messages about serial problems, I thought
I'd just point out that as of 2.1.8 (first one I've tried since 2.0.25),
my fourth serial port gets misidentified.

Before:
Linux version 2.0.25 (root@pnd-pc) (gcc version 2.7.2) #8 Sat Nov 9 22:38:05 GMT 1996
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
tty03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Now:
Linux version 2.1.8 (root@pnd-pc) (gcc version 2.7.2) #12 Mon Nov 11 19:14:23 GMT 1996
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
Serial driver version 4.20 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16450
tty03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a TI16750

It most definitely is NOT a TI16750 - it is a 16550. (Just a moment while
I open up my case and have a look) It is a National Semiconductor
NS16550AFN. (Actually the markings are the two little twiddles, a batch
number, PC16550CN, NS16550AFN)

If you need any more information, let me know...
Cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Denison <peterd@pnd-pc.demon.co.uk>
Currently (still) working on a driver for Promise cards under Linux.