Re: Oopses with 2.1.8

Philippe Strauss (philou@sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch)
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 22:58:39 +0100 (MET)

Philip Blundell wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Philip Blundell wrote:
>
> > This may be entirely unrelated, but the first (and only, so far) time I
> > tried a 2.1.8 kernel it locked the machine up solid in about 15 minutes.
>
> More on this. I ran up 2.1.8 again, without X this time. After about 10
> minutes the machine died with a constant stream of "Aiee, scheduling in
> interrupt" messages. A PPP session was active at this stage, if that's
> likely to be significant, and PPP was a module (which I loaded with
> modules-2.1.8's insmod).
>
> I hit the reset button and let the machine start again. This time,
> though, it locked solid while running fsck (obviously, the previous sudden
> reboot had left all the filesystems dirty). Again, the hard disk LED was
> on. I gave up and went back to 2.1.7.
>
> At the moment I'm compiling up 2.1.8 but with drivers/block from 2.1.7, in
> hopes that this will make things better. I haven't tried 2.1.9, but I
> _have_ looked at the patch, and it doesn't look like there's anything much
> in there that's likely to help. I might give it a go later though.
>
> phil

Very similar to the things I had with 2.1.8. Finally, replacing
ncrBsd with Drew's driver (53c7,8xx) and everything was fine.
I use some advanced IP stuff (masquerading), I suppose
to be a bad interaction between new TCP/IP stuff and
ncrBsd. Long long shot..

I don't use IDE at all.

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
# CONFIG_NET_ALIAS is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_FORWARD=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_VERBOSE=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y

#
# Protocol-specific masquerading support will be built as modules.
#
# CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY is not set
CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG=y
CONFIG_IP_ACCT=y
# CONFIG_IP_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set

CONFIG_NE2000=y

I have two ne 2000, one PCI and
one ISA, both clone (always working fine).

--
Philippe Strauss, CH-1092 Belmont

Email: <philippe.strauss@urbanet.ch> Homepage: http://sicel-home-1-4.urbanet.ch