Re: driver development tool

Andrew E. Mileski (aem@nic.ott.hookup.net)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:03:15 -0500 (EST)

> From: Randy Scott <scottr@belle.bork.com>
> Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:05:24 -0600
> Subject: Re: driver development tool
>
> In article <5661k1$5hg@belle.bork.com> you wrote:
> : > 2) access to PCB manufacturing
> : > 10 pieces of a 4-layer PCB cost ~$1200 and need 4 weeks for
> : > processing.
>
> I have access to simple two-sided PCB manufacturing facilities. PCB
> layout on the other hand is hard to come by...

I _think_ I still have some old MS-DOS shareware layout software
(it should be on a Simtel mirror too) called PC-Route. It is simple,
but can handle auto-routing double-sided boards including using
plated-through holes. Actually, I'm positive that there is more than
one such freely available package around.

Which reminds me, I've always meant to write a X layout package someday.
I spent about 6 months studying the subject (university libraries can
have hidden treasure), but never got around to hacking code :-(

P.S. I received a notice from PADS about their new website.
They make production layout software for the PC.
It can be yours for a mere $10,000 (last time I asked for a price
at least) for the bare-bones package. The auto-router is extra
($5,000 I think). This is of course for a SINGLE station license.

--
Andrew E. Mileski   mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/